Kerik Kouklis Photography Workshop
Platinum/Palladium Printing with Digital Negatives
The workshop will consist of a maximum of 8 people so each student will have plenty of one-on-one instruction.
- Dedicated to learning the platinum/palladium process or refining your existing printing skills utilizing the digital negatives Kerik will make for you before the workshop. There will be a variety of papers to experiment with as you delve deeper into this beautiful process.
- The second day will be dedicated to learning the craft of making digital negatives using the application QuickCurveDN. You will learn how to calibrate the system for your own printer. We will use a straightforward approach that is streamlined.
- We will continue with printing using the new negatives you will make on Day 2
Some of the topics to be covered in this intensive workshop will include: The basics of the platinum/palladium process
- Making Digital Negatives with QuickCurveDN
- Characteristics of different papers
- Hand-coating techniques
- Contrast control techniques
- Materials suppliers
- Print and negative retouching
- Options for UV light sources
Students are required to supply their own digital images to convert and print. We will also allow time on Day 1 to shoot additional images. Please bring a digital camera for this purpose. Bringing your own laptop is highly encouraged. (Mac or PC) Minimum requirement: Photoshop CS4. This will allow you to set up your own system with Kerik’s assistance, and the workflow will be dedicated to your own work. Don’t worry; we will have at least one computer available for everyone to share. QuickCurveDN software for Mac or PC works only for Epson Printers.
Accommodations, Food and Transportation
- Accommodations are not included.
- The area has some hotels, and comfy inns. Below are some options to stay near our studio.
- Wildflower Ranch Inn (859) 481-4576 • Located on the same property as The Art Distillery and is own and operated by Rich Brimer & Carol Henry. Art workshop students who reserve a 4-night minimum during any workshop, will receive 25% discount when booking. We have a limited supply of accommodations for our workshops students. If you wish to book a room with us, please contact us as soon as possible to reserve your space. A non-refundable 50% deposit is required when booking your room.
- AIRBNB has a few offerings around the area. They vary in price depending on the location.
- Hampton Inn • (270) 699-4000 • 1125 Loretto Rd, Lebanon, KY 40033. Mention The Art Distillery to receive our corporate discount.
- Maple Hill Manor
- Breakfast will be included for those staying at Wildflower Ranch Inn
- The workshop includes lunch all 3 days.
- Dinner: We will likely be going out and each person will take care of their own dinner bill.