Kerik Kouklis Photography Workshop
Platinum/Palladium and Gum Bichromate Printing with Digital Negatives
The workshop will consist of a maximum of 8 people so each student will have plenty of one-on-one instruction.
- Dedicated to learning the platinum/palladium process or refining your existing printing skills utilizing the digital negatives Kerik will make for you before the workshop. There will be a variety of papers to experiment with as you delve deeper into this beautiful process.
- The second day will be dedicated to learning the craft of making digital negatives using the application QuickCurveDN. You will learn how to calibrate the system for your own printer. We will use a straightforward approach that is streamlined.
- We will continue with printing using the new negatives you will make on Day 2 and finish the day by learning to apply gelatin sizing in preparation for the gum bichromate overlay.
- The final day of the workshop will be dedicated to learning how to add gum bichromate layers on top of your platinum/palladium prints resulting in a print with enhanced tonality and richness.
Some of the topics to be covered in this intensive workshop will include: The basics of the platinum/palladium process
- Making Digital Negatives with QuickCurveDN
- The basics of the gum bichromate process
- Making combined platinum/palladium/gum prints
- Characteristics of different papers
- Hand-coating techniques
- Contrast control techniques
- Materials suppliers
- Print and negative retouching
- Options for UV light sources
Students are required to supply their own digital images to convert and print. We will also allow time on Day 1 to shoot additional images. Please bring a digital camera for this purpose. Bringing your own laptop is highly encouraged. (Mac or PC) Minimum requirement: Photoshop CS4. This will allow you to set up your own system with Kerik’s assistance, and the workflow will be dedicated to your own work. Don’t worry; we will have at least one computer available for everyone to share. QuickCurveDN software for Mac or PC works only for Epson Printers.